By Joe Ferriss
Posted on May 3rd, 2009 in General
Pictured above is Shadia I, 1939 bay mare by El Zafir x Shams INS. Her dam is a granddaughter of El Kahila, the first Saud mare to be given to Inshass from King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud.
Saudi Arabia has been a source for some horses in the Inshass stud in Egypt. Members of the Saud Royal family had been generous in giving a number of their “asil” horses to the father and son Kings of Egypt, King Fouad and later his son King Farouk. For the most part names of each family member appear in the Inshass Stud book which is not a complete document but does give us some insight into these horses. I have compiled a list here of horses identified as coming from the Sa’ud family to Inshass stud:
1. El Kahila, dark bay mare born 1921 strain: Kuhaylah Krush. Her strain is not listed in the Inshass studbook but her daughter is listed as Kuhaylah Krush.
2. El Obeya Om Geris. Collin Pearson book designates her as a gift from King Aziz Ibn Saoud perhaps in early 1931, arrived with foal by “Koheilan El Azouz. Her strain is Obeya Om Grees [Abayyah Om Jurays], her daughter El Shahbaa, obtained from El Hag Mohamed Ibrahim is sired by “El Hamdani El Nasri” possibly also of Saud origin.
3. El Obeya, gift from Ibn Sa’ud, no further information listed, she is dam of the 1932 grey mare Mahasen by El Deree. [Mahasen’s son was exported to South Africa.
4. Hind 1942 grey mare, sired by Obeyan El Saifi, dam not given but strain is listed as Saqlawi.
5. Nafaa 1941 grey mare sired by Obeyan El Saifi, dam not given but strain is listed as Kohaila
6. Durra 1943 chestnut mare sired by Obeyan El Saifi, dam is Sa’adaa El Debdab, strain not listed
7. Rezkia 1943 bay mare sire is El Sabili [a Muniqi Sbaili?] listed as stallion from Ibn Meheid, dam is not given but strain is Obeya El Mosi.
8. Mabrouka 1930 bay mare, sire and dam not listed but strain is listed as Saqlawia
9. El Galabi [El Gallabi] bay stallion, foaling date, sire and dam not listed but strain is listed as Koheilan Jellabi
10. Mabrouk 1943 grey colt, sire is Obeyan El Saifi, dam is Sowaytia Ben Kowyd, strain not listed.
11. Saadaa 1939 chestnut mare, sire is Obeyan, dam is El Kahila [not the 1921 El Kahila] strain is Kahila.
12. El Zarkaa 1935 grey mare, sire and dam and strain not listed. She produced the colt El Hegazi by the stallion El Gallabi mentioned above.
It appears from this list above that some interesting strains have come from Saudi Arabia to the father and son Kings. While some of these are not found in today’s pedigrees a number of these mares are and have established well respected families in Egyptian breeding.
Since Pure Man is from Saudi Arabia I thought he would like to see the list of these horses designated as coming from the Saud Royal Family. Some of these are clearly gifts so I presume it would be important that they be most “asil” so as not to reflect negatively on the Saud Royal family. Perhaps Pure Man can also extend further information on some of these listed above if he knows.